All of New Hat’s screen printed wallpapers are hand printed using hand mixed inks. Minor variations or imperfections may occur, and are natural byproducts of handmade processes. Please inspect wallpaper rolls upon delivery to ensure that no defects are present. Examination before hanging is the buyer’s responsibility.
We recommend that wallpaper be installed by a professional paper hanger to achieve the best results. To find a professional paper hanger in the United States, visit the Wallcovering Installers Association website. The WIA provides a directory of experienced installers listed by city or area code.
Carefully read the following before hanging wallpaper yourself. This information is supplied in good faith, but without guarantee and on the understanding that the customer or installer will possess or seek out the knowledge to work with differing site or atmospheric conditions present at the time of installation. No claims can be accepted after wallpaper has been cut and pasted showing defects which were apparent at the time of installation or wallpaper that has been damaged during installation. New Hat assumes no liability for any wallpaper product once it has been pasted, installed, or used in any way. New Hat assumes no liability for any actions of your wallpaper installer.
tape measure, level, 9” paint roller handle and cover, drop cloth, smoothing tool, good quality utility knife and extra blades, scissors, clean sponge and step ladder
1. Before you begin, check that all surfaces to be covered are clean, smooth, and dry. Old wall coverings should be removed completely and wall imperfections patched and sanded.
2. We recommend applying a coat of stain blocking wallpaper primer before hanging new wallpaper. In the case of uneven surfaces, walls should be prepared with a lining paper before hanging wallpaper. Hang the lining paper horizontally so that the seams will not interfere with the vertical seams of the wallpaper. Use a high quality, ready mixed adhesive paste.
3. Before cutting lengths of paper, please ensure that you are aware of the pattern matches and that you have enough rolls to complete the installation. If you have any doubts regarding the pattern direction or pattern repeat please refer to the specifications listed on the corresponding product page of our website.
4. Starting in an inconspicuous corner, measure ½ inch less than the width of the paper to the right of the corner. Draw a straight vertical line at that point using your level for a true vertical line.
5. Cut 1 paper length that allows for the wall height plus 3 or 4 extra inches on both the top and bottom for trimming and adjusting along ceiling line/molding and baseboard. Place the paper printed side down on a drop cloth and roll the back of it evenly with wallpaper paste. Then “book” the paper, meaning fold the bottom edge to meet the top and press the sides lightly together without creasing the center. Let the booked sheet stand for 3-4 minutes. This will prevent seams from opening up and drying out while the paper is relaxing.
6. Unfold the sheet and working quickly, use a wallpaper brush or smoothing tool to gently apply paper to the wall so that the right edge lines up with the level vertical line you drew in STEP 4. Then gently smooth the paper down working from the center outward to the edges. Trim the top and bottom edges with your utility knife and a straight edge. Make sure the ½ inch corner overlap on the left side is secure (do not trim).
7. If you are confident of your measurements and pattern match at this point, cut your remaining wallpaper sheets. Book the next sheet in the same way as before and then apply it to the wall, taking care to match the pattern with that of the previous strip. Butt the seams together tightly but do not overlap.
8. Remove excess paste as you go using a clean wet sponge on the paper’s surface and gently pressing along the seams. Apply each consecutive strip following the same procedure.
Care & Maintenance
To clean your wallpaper, simply wipe with a damp cloth or sponge. If necessary, use a mild soap that does not contain detergent and rinse with clean water. Do not use abrasive cleaning products or tools as this could damage the surface of the paper. Stains caused by grease and oil may not be removable.